Friday 6 March 2015

Brisbane Greeters

I have mentioned before in my blog that I am a volunteer Brisbane Greeter which is part of the Global Greeter network offering 'greets' in almost 100 cities around the world. Greeters are volunteers who are happy to take visitors and locals on a walking tour around the city, not like a professional tour guide, but more like a newly met friend! 
This past week has been a busy week for me as I have completed 4 walks in 7 days. Usually, I might only do one or two greets per month.
My husband Rob (also a Greeter) and I were asked to train other Greeters in walks around South Bank, so I did two training walks. This is the first group of Brisbane Greeters in front of the lovely Nepalese Pagoda.

                                                    

I then had my usual rostered greet with a couple from Malaysia and also a Brazilian man who is currently living in New Zealand. Here are my visitors at our inner city beach South Bank.

                             

Then today Rob and I were asked to show a group of interstate travel agents around, here he is telling them about our Anzac Square.

                            

Usually, I would walk anywhere between 13 to 22 kilometres each greet but today it was about 19 km. It is a good way to keep fit! We were then invited to have a scrumptious lunch with the group after our walk. Then they were off to visit a local winery, where hopefully the afternoon will be at a slower pace for them.

Rob and I are off to New Zealand next week where we have another housesit to do. On the North Island again but in a different place to last years. Sadly, no alpacas this time!
   


     

4 comments:

  1. Greeters are a really good idea. I wonder why we don't do them over here.Those are some long walks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greeters actually started in New York 23 years ago but there only seems to be 3 cities in the US that do them and 2 in Canada.
      Djan, my walks are not as picturesque as your hikes but I certainly know my way around the city!

      Delete
  2. What a great way to meet people from all over the world! And good exercise as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda Kay, I love meeting new people and chatting for a few hours, by the end of my walks, we are always good friends!

      Delete