Saturday 8 November 2014

Sculptures

There is so much happening in Brisbane at the moment as part of the G20 Cultural Celebrations. Today we visited an exhibition called Expressions in Sculpture and I believe all the exhibits are by Brisbane Sculptors. There were 64 pieces of work with some artists exhibiting more than one piece. Some were uniquely Australian like this sandstone koala and these platypuses.

                          

                          

This bronze lady caught my eye, she was called Wrapped in Blue. I could easily have taken her home, I have the perfect place for her......then I saw the price tag! Ummmm, no, not today thank you.

                         
                    

The Dancing Queen was made from an old Moreton Bay Fig tree that fell down in New Farm Park during the drought of 2008. It was estimated that the tree was about 138 years old when it fell down.

                        

Some were quirky, the first photo showing Hybrid Runabout 2 made from bits and pieces. The second photo shows Books, Books And More Books. I love these little guys!

                       

                       


And some were very cute!

                       

                       

On the walk home through the city, we found this sculpture called Dialogue and the second photo is one of the sculptures outside the Queensland Art Gallery.
                       
                        

                       

A most enjoyable day.











 

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful sculptures. I really love that cat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the cat, thanks Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sculpture and enjoyed your tour of locally made art. I, too, want to take home the cat one! Or maybe the koala, but he would not be happy in my snowy garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing sculptures Janice. The Bronze Lady is beautiful as is the Dancing Queen.

    ReplyDelete