Wednesday 31 December 2014

Visiting the Australian War Memorial

We have been many times to the Australian War Memorial in Canberra but went again today to see a new exhibition, Centenary of the First World War. It was lovely to see so many visitors, especially young people taking an interest in the exhibit. As with many of these exhibitions, it was confronting and very hard to imagine the conditions that our soldiers endured.

My Grandad was one of them, he fought in France and to my knowledge never spoke of the horrors that he went through. Although, he did go AWOL once in England and that's where he met my Grandma who was working in a shop in Bristol. He went on to marry her and bring her to Australia as a war bride taking her at first to live in a very small outback Queensland town that would have extremely hot and uncomfortable in the summer. Even though she lived for many years in Australia, Grandma was always, always, very English!

The Australian War Memorial is a grand building with beautiful grounds surrounding it.

                      

Standing out the front of the building, you look down Anzac Parade to the Australian Parliament House in the distance. As you can see, a beautiful day.

                       

Thank you to all my readers who joined me on my blog journey this year, I have enjoyed it and will continue on next year. We have some adventures planned but when opportunities come up, we jump at them and the best adventures are unplanned!

I would like to wish all my readers a wonderful, happy and healthy 2015!




8 comments:

  1. This was the year that I discovered your blog, and I'm glad to be along for the journey. Happy New Year, and the best to all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan for being part of it. I really enjoy your blogs. Happy 2015 to you!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the War Memorial pics, good story about your Grandparents.
    My Great Grandfather was in France for WW1 as well, he was an engineer or something and dug the trenches and I think he also did some tunnelling, not too sure about that side of it though.
    Looking forward to being in France for Anzac Day 2015.
    Cheers,
    JD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JD, enjoy your trip and Happy New Year to you both!

      Delete
  3. It's a fitting and grand memorial to those who fought. And it was interesting to see how your mom became Australian. Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia! All the best to you too.

      Delete
  4. Although I live in Australia I've never seen The Australian War Memorial .... always heading further afield and most probably missing treasures in my own back-yard.
    Hoping 2015 is full of new adventures and brings with it health and a goodly dose of happiness

    "Adelaide and Beyond"

    ReplyDelete