Friday 12 December 2014

Christmas is Coming

I had such a busy time down in Canberra helping with the grandchildren and therefore haven't had much time for myself. So when I arrived back in Brisbane 6 days ago it was time to have a haircut, a visit to the dentist, a blood test, attend a Xmas party, visit my Mum at her new nursing home, take my husband out for his birthday and take some guests from Iran (here for the Asia Pacific Screen Awards) on a greet plus all the other mundane day to day jobs. All had to be attended to as we are off to Canberra again in 5 days and we have 3 more Xmas parties to attend before we leave!

It's that time of year, Xmas craziness! I have been into the city a few times, there are some decorations up but nothing really spectacular.

                            

                            

                                            

Brisbane is always so hot at this time of year and it's also the storm season, so almost every afternoon we have had a storm. There was a really bad one 2 weeks ago (which I missed) but all over the city are boarded up windows that were broken by the hail. 

I grew up in Brisbane, so am used to the hot weather at Xmas time but my favourite Xmas was 5 years ago when we spent 4 weeks in Europe with a week in Switzerland during the festive season. I wanted to experience a white Xmas and my research led me to Switzerland where I was assured there would be snow at that time of year. And there was, plenty of it, at a little town called Lauterbrunnen. On Xmas day, we went for a walk to Murren where we had spectacular views, it was a truly magical time.

                          

The chalet in Lauterbrunnen where we stayed.
                  
                         

As a child growing up watching all the old television Xmas movies including White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street with people going on sleigh rides etc, a white Xmas seemed very special. In Australia, the tradition of a day at the beach, is not for me. 

I'm not sure exactly what we will be doing on Xmas Day this year but we are having a few days with the family before our next housesit in Canberra starts. As we housesat for this young couple last Xmas, we know the area well and will also enjoy caring for Oyster, the cat again.








3 comments:

  1. Hello, and it's nice to see you pop up on my list! I love those snowy pictures, and I do hope that you will have the chance to have another White Christmas somewhere other than in Canberra! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really a lovely place in the snow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see some Christmas decorations weathered the storm. The elf is cute. I live in Minnesota, US, land of lots of snow. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete